Phlebotomists are allied health professionals who draw blood from patients for testing. The Law Enforcement Phlebotomy Program (LEEP) is designed to teach officers how to perform phlebotomy or venipunctures on patients for testing.
Moberly Area Community College (MACC) LEPP’s curriculum covers core exam topics including blood collection theory and handling, safety, and applicable laws and regulations governing phlebotomy. In addition, students learn to draw blood in a variety of ways in the classroom and at affiliate clinical sites.
The 4-Credit hour LEPP course consists of the didactic portion (on-line), labs (in-person), and clinical site rotations (in-person at clinical site, determined later). The lectures are prerecorded and added to MACC web-based learning system, Canvas. Officers will have access to chapters, PowerPoints, lectures, and quizzes weekly. Books will be provided by the Missouri Safety Center through grant funding for reading assignments. Officers must pass the final before attending the in-person labs for 3 consecutive days at MACC’s Mexico MO campus. The address for labs is 2900 Doreli Lane Mexico MO 65265.
After successful completion of the in-person labs officers will start clinical rotations the following week. Clinical sites will be determined on a case-by-case basis. Officers will need to complete 100 blood drawers for completion of the course and to receive their certificate of completion.
Please complete the following:
- Apply to become a student of MACC:
- Proof of the following immunizations submitted to MLT@macc.edu:
- TB Test: One within the last two years and one within one year prior to the end of rotation OR One T-SPOT/QFT (blood test) within one year prior to the end of rotation
- 2 MMR vaccinations OR a positive titer
- 2 Varicella vaccinations OR a positive titer
- Current season’s flu vaccine
- Hepatitis B vaccinations series of 3 shots OR a positive titer
- Tetanus Diphtheria (Td) or (Tdap) within the last 10 years
- Negative Drug Screen Result:
- The required drug screen (minimum 10-panel) may be completed at Mid Mo Drug Testing at 405 Bernadette Drive, Columbia, Missouri, or other locations closer to your home.
- Please take your photo ID with you when you go to your drug screen testing. If you are going to Mid Mo Drug Testing let them know you are a MACC Law Enforcement Phlebotomy student.
- The cost of the drug screen at Mid Mo Drug Testing is approximately $37.50, and the results will come directly to our office after the specimen has been processed. If you are using a different location please have them send results to MLT@macc.edu. If they have any questions I can be contacted at 660-263-4100 Ext 13624 or by email. I would recommend you call before you go to make sure they can provide a 10-panel drug screen including: cannabinoids, benzodiazepines, cocaine, opiates (including oxycodone), amphetamines, barbiturates, phencyclidine, methadone, methaqualone, and propoxyphene.
- Negative Background Check Results:
- You will complete a background check through Background Check Advantage.
- The form to fill out is found here. You will send the form back to MLT@MACC.edu. We will inform you when to call and pay with debit or credit card for your background check.
- Once you have been informed, call and pay for the background check using a debit or credit card at 573-893-3700, ask for Background Check Advantage. The cost starts at $24.00 but will vary depending on how many states you have lived in and how many name changes you have had in the past.
- The results will come to our office directly.
- Essential Qualifications form submitted to MLT@MACC.edu:
- Read and comply with Essential Qualifications Requirements
- MACC Phlebotomy Application submitted to MLT@MACC.edu:
- Release of Information form submitted to MLT@MACC.edu
Program Coordinator & Instructor:
Darinda Mast, MLT (ASCP)CM
Missouri Health Professions Consortium MLT Program Operations Coordinator
MACC Phlebotomy Certification Program Coordinator & Instructor
Law Enforcement Phlebotomy Program Coordinator & Instructor
Phone 660-263-4100 ext. 13624
2900 Doreli Lane, Mexico, MO 65265
Administrative Assistant MACC-Mexico and MLT/PN Programs
2900 Doreli Lane